Press Release: University of Winchester students to present at pioneering Oxford Summer School
13th April 2017
University of Winchester students will be joining more than 50 international academics presenting at the Oxford Summer School on the Ethics of Fur.
Five students and their lecturer will give two presentations, one on the pro-fur influences on London Fashion Week, and the other on the cultural and historical context to fur, looking at Sumptuary laws dating back to Henry VIII.
Dr Savithri Bartlett, Senior Research Fellow in Fashion Marketing and Media, says: “The students are delighted to have an opportunity to examine the ethical issues around fur. It chimes in with our existing ethical fashion initiatives.”
Students on the Fashion Marketing and Media degree at Winchester study sustainability and responsibility in fashion as part of the programme and work with leading companies such as Patagonia and social activists Black Fish to get sustainability across to a digital generation.
The Summer School is being arranged by the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, in partnership with Respect for Animals Educational Trust from 23-26 July 2017.
“This event is the first of its kind in the UK. It will interrogate the ethics of producing ‘farming’ and trade in animal fur,” said the Centre’s director, the Revd Professor Andrew Linzey. “It is great news that a leading University in the field like Winchester will be partnering with us.”
Information about the call for papers and registration is available at http://www.oxfordanimalethics.com/what-we-do/summer-school-2017/, or email Clair Linzey at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more press information, please contact: Dr Sam Calvert, SC Marketing Communications, email@example.com, +44 (0)1782 505430, +44 (0)7967 042050.
Notes to editors
- The University of Winchester is a leading university for teaching excellence (ranked tenth in England in The Times and The Sunday Times 2016 Good University Guide). Founded in 1840 the University offers undergraduate and postgraduate study on a range of subjects within the arts, humanities, social sciences, business, law, sport, education, and health and social care. The University received the British Quality Foundation UK Excellence Award 2016 in recognition of excellence across its operations. It also received the BQF Sustainable Future Achievement Award 2016 for outstanding environmental or social contribution to achieving a more sustainable world.
- Winchester Business School is a signatory to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Management Education and one of only three Schools in the UK (and one of 28 worldwide) to be awarded Champion School status for its engagement with the UN’s responsible management education agenda. The Principles are driven by the fact that issues of sustainability (climate change, water scarcity, waste management), human rights, business ethics, democratic governance and human wellbeing will not be addressed effectively without the commitment and co-operation of business. As a result, since its inception, the Business School has been shaped by the values of responsible management which have strongly informed strategies relating to teaching, research and external engagement.
- More information about the University of Winchester’s Marketing and Innovation Department’s courses can be found at this link: http://www.winchester.ac.uk/academicdepartments/Pages/Marketing-and-Innovation.aspx
- The Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics is an independent centre, founded in 2006. Its Director, Professor Andrew Linzey is a member of the Faculty of Theology in the University of Oxford, and editor of The Global Guide to Animal Protection (University of Illinois Press). See www.oxfordanimalethics.com
- Respect for Animals Educational Trust works internationally to raise consciousness of the suffering inherent in the fur trade. Its Director, Mark Glover is the recipient of the Lord Erskine award from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Contact Mark Glover on +44 (0)115 952 5440 or see http://www.respectforanimals.co.uk/home/